Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Builder Boards

Project #2

Let's talk about over sized Lincoln Logs. Some companies call them Builder Boards, others call them Timber Stackers. I don't even know what I want to call them. But I do know that these are the most sought after learning material in my preschool classroom!

Lately, they have been used as a space ship. The children put baskets on their heads, create small spaces to sit in, and pack all sorts of things into their shuttle. It's amazing to observe the creativity that goes on while these boards are manipulated!


BUILDER BOARDS



I had some assistance building a jig to space out the notches. Since all of the materials were donated scraps, they needed to be put to size with a chop saw. Finally, I sanded and stained the wood with a non toxic varnish.























The next day, I brought the boards into work and gave the children no directions on how to use them. Why? Because I wanted the teachers to observe how the children problem solved on their own. I asked them to document what questions the children asked through their actions and words. Then, after the observation was over, the teachers were able to develop a study based on the children's interests. We did, however, talk about how to safely carry them. :)






No comments:

Post a Comment